Thursday 18 October 2018

How I Halloween | #6 Recipes

Halloween Recipes


Originally I had planned to find a bunch of recipes and test them out and report of the results.   That didn't Happen.  As usual I had more plans than time & then I ran out it, time that is. 

What I have done is included links to recipes that look good & I intended to make but, didn't. They are basically all "pumpkin...something", it's festive, so why not?

I have had the fudge before and enjoyed it, but I cant vouch for the rest. If you try them Please leave a comment & let me know what you think.  

1) Pumpkin Fudge
2) Pumpkin pancakes
3) Pumpkin Brownies
4) Pumpkin creme brulee
5) Pumpkin Soup
6) Autumn (Adult) Drinks


Bonus:

The Best Caramel Corn Ever!


From a newspaper article in the 1970's, a time when people both read the paper & believed most of what it said. my mother and sister have been making it ever since. I really do enjoy it more than any that I've bought.  That could have more to do with nostalgia than taste but, that's fine.



You can get recipes that are essentially the same Here & Here.


I've never made it my self, but have been known to lend a hand from time to time. A few years ago filmed most of the process and eventually Put it together into a short video.




UPDATE:

Here are a few more  pics from "The Shopping Basket"page of the Globe & Mail from October 24, 1979. Being one week before Halloween (and my brother's 2nd Birthday)  the page featured Halloween recipes and grocery specials.  It has been preserved for the  "Shell-Out Caramel Corn" recipe that is a favourite around our house.





 For the uninitiated "shell out"  is an equivalent to "trick or Treat"  used in Canada.

To get treats on Halloween kids used phrases like "shell out, Shell out, the witches are out", "shell out, Shell out, the Goblins are out" and even "shell out, Shell out, we'll break your windows inside out."   But,  that was mostly gone by my time,  we always used the foreign & generic "trick or Treat".

Next Time?


With time running out before the big day and "things to Do"  piling up,  I'm not making any promises except that this won't the the last post before Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment